Drop Down Ye Heavens
£0.00 – £24.99
Siglo de Oro’s first commercial recording sees the choir and its director Patrick Allies in collaboration with saxophonist Sam Corkin.
Their intriguing programme highlights the saxophone’s natural kinship with the human voice, as well as the endless expressive possibilities which this versatile instrument stimulates in the imaginations of modern composers.
Its athletic vigour launches Will Todd’s O Wisdom, the first of eight settings of the Advent antiphons in English which, having been commissioned by the present artists, now form the backbone of this recording.
Elsewhere the instrument soars above the voices’ urgent prophecy and imploration, while the choir is heard unaccompanied in glowing renditions of sixteenth-century polyphony – works by Pierre Certon, Antoine de Mornable, Michael Praetorius and Josquin des Prez, whose music complements the atmosphere of quiet expectancy proper to Advent.
“This marvellous disc offers a stimulating new slant on the music of Advent. Don’t pass it by as “just another Christmas disc”. This is highly original and superbly performed. Siglo de Oro have made a most auspicious debut on disc” MusicWeb International
- Drop down, ye heavens, from above Judith Weir
- O Wisdom Will Todd
- O Adonai Pierre Certon
- O Adonai Matthew Kaner
- There is no rose Bonnie Miksch
- O Root of Jesse Samuel Rathbone
- O Clavis David Antoine de Mornable
- O Key of David Francis Pott
- O Day-spring Richard Allain
- Praesepe iam fulget tuum Michael Praetorius
- O King of the Nations Gareth Wilson
- O Emmanuel Stuart Turnbull
- O Virgo virginum Josquin des Prez
- O Virgin of virgins Ralph Allwood
Artists: Siglo de Oro, Sam Corkin